MIDDLEBURGH PHOTOS

about me | my other blog | Flickr

  Creative Commons 2.5 License

Mouse over Images to see full size

  • Crab: 1 There are rocks at western most part of the promonade by the flats; If you lean over the railing when the tide is right you can see crabs scuttling about. vDon't know what type of crab it is other than is not a soft shelled or a hairy crab !!
  • Moth I have discovered there are over 2000 species of moths in Hong Kong - so many in fact that the Hong kong biodiversity database does not list any!!! - poor moths such stigma !! This was on the ceiling of the gent's tiolets at work (Leave window open and the light on at night and it becomes a big moth trap!!) larger that life - compare to dimples on ceiling tile
  • Egret I have no idea whether this is the Large or Little Egret:Suffice it to say that that any white bird flying here abouts, have elongated necks and are NOT your common or garden Gulls. During the day when they are not foraging they have this tendency to stand arround on buoys, mooring lines and ships bows,In the evening they fly inland and roost on top of the trees outside the Temple in Wong Chuk Hung. From the office which overlooks the trees it looks as though it has snowed. I got two shots flying away - wings up and wings down
  • Black Kite :Milvus migrans (Black Kite) Dead common round here: they ride the thermals between the high rise towers and go fishing in Aberdeen Harbour.They sometimes come within 20 feet my flat windows and I never have a camera ready. Taken from the promonade outside the flat
  • HK House Gecko This is a juvenile - aka "son of Larry" is either a Hemidactylus frenatus or possibly a Hemidactylus brooki (Brook's Gecko) an immigrant from India. My partner happily shared the shower with this one unlike its parents!! who keep our flat mozzie free
  • Dragonflies: Look closely - is a dragonfly head on, under a tree on the opposite side of road (on a blind bend without a pavement - I didn't feel like committing suicide that day)I think there are 2 others in the shot which I couldn't focus.

posted by David Middleburgh on Saturday, January 03, 2009 Permalink