MIDDLEBURGH PHOTOS

about me | my other blog | Flickr

  Creative Commons 2.5 License

Mouse over Images to see full size

  • American Flamingos : Kong Kong Park: These aren't in Avaiary but in a seperate enclosure.
  • Pink Birds : Kong Kong Park: They were so far away !!!
  • Buff-cheeked Gibbon : Kong Kong Park: The adult males are black; young males are golden, as are females on heat. Ironically I could have taken a better shot from the other side of the "cage" but my partner had walked off with the camera
  • Bornean Orang-utan : Kong Kong Park: I remember seeing Guy the Gorilla at London Zoo and I am not sure who looked more bored. Makes the case for not keeping animals in cages. As an aside - every time I read the "name" I think of Born Again Christians - maybe I need counselling?
  • Siamang : Kong Kong Park: The Siamang is a gibbon and like Gorillas,Chimpanzees and Orangutans, is an ape, not a monkey. The chief characteristics distinguishing apes from monkeys are the absence of a tail, their more or less upright posture and the high development of their brain. Siamangs have tough, horny pads on their buttocks known as ischial callosities. Since Siamangs and Gibbons build no sleeping nest, the pads help them spend a comfortable night seated on tree branches safe from predators ie They are proverbial "hard arses"

posted by David Middleburgh on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 Permalink