MIDDLEBURGH PHOTOS

about me | my other blog | Flickr

  Creative Commons 2.5 License

Mouse over Images to see full size

  • Victoria Crowned Pigeon (maybe) : Kong Kong Park Aviary: According to Wikopedia the Victoria Crowned Pigeon is superficially similar to the Western Crowned Pigeon, and the Southern Crowned Pigeon (aka Maroon Breasted Crowned Pigeon) . Clearly someone in the Park's Department has a sense of humour. Personally I can't tell the difference between this and the bird in the next shot other than the latter had a more "maroon breast" and lighter blue head , Could have been a sexual diffrence or just the lighting. Any one any comments ?
  • Maroon Breasted Crowned Pigeon: Kong Kong Park Aviary: Well .. CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE ? This bird was perched on fence just next to the exist. Three things went through my mind
    1. would it taste like a Turkey or a Dodo?
    2. Was it hoping to tailgate us and slip out unnoticed as we exited?
    3. Was it like the Dodo in "Primeval",infected with a deadly parasite, and about to attack ?(I can be a real wimp at times!!)
  • Nicobar Pigeon: Kong Kong Park Aviary: After reviewing the Aviary species List I concluded on the basis of elimination that this was a Nicobar Pigeon. There was no white tail so I presume this is a juvenile. Apparently it's gizzard stone is apparentlt prized for jewelry and the species is/was hunted for food (the greeny/blue sheen to theplumage reminded me of rotten meat). Technically based on (questionable) cladistic analysis of mtDNA cytochrome b and 12S rRNA sequences it may be the closest living relative of the extinct didines (Raphinae), which include the Dodo. Don't You feel better Knowing that!!
  • Asian Fairy Bluebird : Kong Kong Park Aviary: Notwisthsatnding that my picture is unfortunately out of focus it looks nothing like the one in the Wikipedia entry but is like others on the web and crucially it is like the one og the Aviary Species List. Although not clear the bird has amazing red eyes - I did consider using the redeye removal feature but I thought better of it.
  • B&W Bird : Kong Kong Park Aviary: Another blurred photo but most importantly this is the only bird I could not identify against the Aviary Species List - I am going to go back to checkout the description boards in the aviary. At first I mistakenly thought it was White Necked Mynah until I realised it has a black neck and white body - a simple mistake !!. It then occured to me that it might be a Jay or Magpie but neither are listed for the Aviary so it's a mystery !! Any suggestions?
  • Red Lory : Kong Kong Park Aviary: Clearly not a Nowegian Blue.... A parrot what can I say !!! Not only do I put myself at risk from Avian Bird Flu but also Psitticosis - which in humans presents chiefly as an atypical pneumonia ( I am so brave !!)
  • Fawn-breasted Bowerbird : Kong Kong Park Aviary: Another case of naming by exclusion - for some reason it brought cuckoos to mind although when I checked it not suprisingly looks totally different
  • Bali Mynah : Kong Kong Park Aviary: Also known as the Bali Starling or Rothschild’s Mynah. The Bali Starling is critically endangered, hovering immediately above extinction in the wild for several years now (BirdLife International 2006). I have a fondness for white birds - reminds me of the Gulls which frequented the lake opposite to my house when I was a kid. (These weren't endangered !)
  • Yellow Faced Myna : Kong Kong Park Aviary: Believe it or not this is a is a species of starling !
  • Chestnut-backed Scimitar Babbler : Kong Kong Park Aviary: According to Wikipedia most scimitar-babblers are jungle species, difficult to observe in the dense vegetation they prefer, but like other babblers, these are noisy birds. Means if they babble in cantonese they will fit in here in Hong Kong with no problems
  • Rainbow Lorikeet : Kong Kong Park Aviary: An Australian parrot !! - essentially on overgrown budgie !
  • Spotted Dove : Kong Kong Park: This was photographed just outside the Aviary. I am convinced that the proponderance of Pigeon species in the aviary has got nothing to do with their endangered/at risk status but is more related to their "eating" potential - this is Hong Kong after all !!
  • Yellow-breasted Fruit Dove: Kong Kong Park: Ok another dove - no sign of a yellow breast - the alternative was a Wompoo Fruit Dove but didn't have a purple breast either

posted by David Middleburgh on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 Permalink